Monday, October 3, 2011

Think a little...

So, I have pondered posting and releasing these thoughts and decided that now is the time -bear with me.

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and I need to say I despise this whole: I am an advocate, lecturer, educator, blah blah blah, you know what...I am not. I am a mom to three children, and one has something different than the others. They all have something different. One is scared of trying new things and yet loves spicy foods. One of them snuggles, hugs, and does not stop talking unless someone other than her immediate family is around. One has Down syndrome. I struggle with writing this because you need to know me to understand all of this, and well, indeed, that is hard in a post, a blog, or even in this past year- it's deep stuff. This journey isn't simple or cliche. It is real life, and with that, it isn't always pretty.

When I had Nolan and in those first few weeks, which is documented in earlier posts. I despised being different. So scared of being defined as "the family" with the "Down syndrome kid." I thought that this is what we are now. Also, who I am now, the "poor" mom that this happened to. And the questions are all the same. "Did you know before he was born?" "Oh, you must be over 35?" "Did he have a heart issue?" And the answer is NO to all of those. Not that any of that really matters. Because the truth is, I did not know with any of our children. I did not really think about it. I always said no to any prenatal testing; why? Well, because that stuff does not happen to me, right? But, also, in my heart, I knew it did not matter. I would love my child regardless of their struggles from birth and throughout life. Because isn't that the point?

You do not know when, how, or if your children will struggle. You don't know if one of them will make it to see another day. It is a reality I learned at a young age; I was three when my 8-year-old brother died suddenly. It changes you, the value, and the fleeting nature of life. 

So, when Nolan was born, I am not proud of many of the things that went through my head. I thought, "OMG, what is the point of his life" "Can he learn to go potty in the potty?" Ridiculous- I know! 

I began questioning and reading so many things. 

And then, one day, I found an article in the NY TIMES of all places. It referenced a blog of a woman putting value in her son's life with Down syndrome and stating that it was magic and her daughter was lucky to have him as her brother; it was beautiful...until it took a horribly wrong turn. I read the comments, and they hurt. 

They said things like, "I hope your kid likes your retard when he is old and a burden." Also, "I hope your kid thinks he is cool when she cannot do anything with her life because she has to take care of him." Now I know these are ignorant, cruel comments, but I also know that is what we face; this is what people really think and about my precious baby. 

The reality is 92% of people when faced with whether or not they want to raise a "Nolan," say NO and abort him. That is a pretty disturbing truth as a mother. If you polled 92 out of 100 people, they would not only say but take action and show that your son's life is not worth living. It hurts you at level words cannot describe, and fear overtakes you. Because I am not the only one living with this pain, it is our other children and the reality that they will have to justify their brother's life. The pain that people look at Nolan as less than. So, here I am, as any mother would do for any of her children- to say, my son is SO WORTH IT. Let me help you see why. 

Nolan may not go to Harvard, but Ted Kaczynski did, and he planted bombs, had no relationships with others, and coined the term "Unabomber."

Nolan may never lead a country, but Hitler did and killed millions and himself.

Nolan may never run a company, but Madoff did and ruined thousands of people's lives, including his own family.

Nolan may never have children or get married, but Warren Jeffs' married and raped his children and said it was for God.

You see, all of these ways we measure people, these superficial "status" symbols in life, are pointless. We think and dream of our kids and hope they achieve great success but with skewed versions of the word and its meaning. I am not proud to say I, too, valued those shallow measures.

However, even before I had Nolan, I had one dream for my children: that they were brave and kind. I want and work to help my children be kind-hearted, and when they need to be brave for themselves or others, they are and know their worth. 

Ultimately, you know what Nolan will do? He will make connections, love, and laugh throughout his life. How in the world is that not enough?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Grace! When you let your heart open it really hits the moon! Your journey is yours and I thank you for sharing some of your heart with us. You are one amazing Mama. Love you, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me to be a better person. I admire everything about you and I hope you know what a gift you and Nolan have in each other. I'm thankful for our friendship and I'm thankful for my time with you and your amazing family. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace,

    Dont know it you remember, but I have a cousin with downs. I would say I feel for you, but it isn't needed. Nolan is going to be the most difficult of your children, but will also be the happiest. He couldn't have asked for better parents.
    God never gives anyone anything they can't handle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG can I just say that I totally love this post. You took the words right out of my heart. Thank you so much for these words that I so needed to hear today.

    gratefully w/ love,
    a fellow mom to a little boy with a little something extra;)

    ReplyDelete

Come on- spill it, share it, scream it, shout it, I want to hear it...really!